Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Walnut Bandits!


A couple of months ago I planted 30-40 black walnuts an inch or two down in the soil to stratify for the winter. I thought that covering them with a grate, weighted down by cinder blocks, would be enough to hold off the squirrels. I was wrong. The cinder blocks do, apparently, make a lovely squirrel table. The grate is also easy enough to just tunnel right under and stores walnuts reasonably well... for a squirrel to find and secret away... somewhere else.


I didn't lift the grate and inspect the damage, I just grabbed a few rocks from the driveway and reinforced the sides. I'm hoping that they only absconded with a few walnuts and the rest are still awaiting Spring. I covered the rocks with a little extra dirt, covered it all in pine straw and kept it moving. Maybe they just thought a few should live somewhere else and I'll find a surprise walnut tree somewhere in a couple of years? OR maybe squirrel season doesn't end until February 28th and they'll taste of walnuts. I'll keep you posted.



No comments:

Post a Comment