Monday, January 9, 2017

One Small Step For A Man


OK, so it's not exactly a giant leap for mankind, but this little step has been very helpful. Located along the old fence line between the shed and the home site, I had been wanting to improve that step for weeks. There was a little rise there from where the driveway had sunken over time. I had been going up and down over this rise tripping and cursing while switching out tools to clear the space for the house. I eventually decided to put the cart before the horse and improve the step before continuing the tripping and cursing cycle. I had the piece of wood from improving a closet in an old apartment and the rebar was found on the property.


I took a shovel and a level and made a nice level step. There was one tree root, maybe 1-2" in diameter, from the pine to the left of the step as you head up the hill, but it wasn't too difficult to remove and the pine should recover just fine. After I removed the root and leveled the area I simply plopped the wood down and drove in two pieces of rebar to hold it in place. The piece on the left isn't as flush as I would like but it does the trick. I imagine I'll eventually replace the step, or at least reposition that piece of rebar but at least I can traverse the path from the shed to the home site without obscenity spewing from my mouth.




No comments:

Post a Comment