Sunday, March 6, 2016

Opening Space for Fruit Trees


I had originally planned on separating this post into two parts, but when I saw the before and after photos of each project I couldn't pass up showing the dramatic change that these two projects created together. The first project was removing the large juniper. Meredithe and I took on this beast together a couple of weeks ago and took down this tree, which was a rather stressful project. Poison ivy had it in a stranglehold and taking it down completely was probably doing it a favor, freeing it from slow, poisonous death.

The big pine in the foreground also has multiple poison ivy vines on it, some as thick as my wrist. I cut them at the base and removed the first couple feet at the bottom, but the top of this tall pine is still a death trap. It took a 13' ladder and lots of care and patience to remove 5 large lower limbs. The amount of light that can reach the muscadines and future fruit trees is significantly increased by these changes! We completed both projects with a folding hand saw and a small sawzall. I may climb back up there and clean up the stubs of the lower branches, but I don't particularly want to, for fear of a weeks worth of itchiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment